Our Kansas City, MO office has the opportunity for an experienced Senior Professional Development Coordinator to join the firm’s expanding Professional Development and Inclusion (PDI) Department. This role will support the PDI Department in providing professional development opportunities to the firm attorneys, serving as the primary liaison and PDI partner to the Professional Development Steering Committee members, PD Ambassadors, the Associate Focus Group, and firm attorneys as needed.
Successful job applicants will be able to perform the following essential functions with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Stays informed of main PDI projects, initiatives, and activities to be able to speak about them.
- Project manages PD programs, events, and initiatives (whether in-person, remote or online) and coordinates logistics tasks before, during and after the program (e.g. ensures distribution of invitations; sets up webinars; makes site, catering and audiovisual reservations, etc.).
- Administers online training (e.g. LawFirmE-Learning modules).
- Researches PD-related topics. Creates drafts of trainings, presentations, scripts, summaries, and memos as needed for direct supervisor review with support from PDI Coordinator.
- Stays abreast of developments in adult education, instructional design tools, etc. and makes recommendations about optimizing their use to direct supervisor.
- Coordinates tasks before, during, and after PD-related events at firm-wide events.
- Participates as a member of the Professional Development Steering Committee (PDSC). Attends meetings; drafts agenda and talking points for meeting and submits to direct supervisor.
- Acts as the point of contact for PD ambassadors to support the PD initiatives.
- Partners with the Associate Focus Group (AFG) to meet their roles and responsibilities.
- Coordinates with other Firm departments on all PD-related initiatives.
- Partners with direct supervisor to engage in career conversations with attorneys as needed.
- Suggests topics and offers ideas for improving existing PD initiatives or creating new ones.
- Oversees the administration of all PD-related applications or digital platforms, including project managing the uploading of benchmarks to viSkills.
- Drafts, guides, and updates PDI documents and ensures their timely distribution as appropriate.
- Partners with direct supervisor to make presentations on PD resources as needed.
- Collects information for and drafts the PD section of the annual internal memo.
- Spearheads the production of the PDI Annual Report and one of the two of the PDI E-Connection issues.
- Creates content for internal and external professional development communications (e.g. WestLegalEd promos; quarterly PD ambassadors report; ODPro 2.0 communications, etc.).
- Works with direct supervisor to determine what PD-related content to post or update.
- Drafts presentations for PD-related speaking engagements for direct supervisor review.
- Supports PD Senior Manager in administering the budget.
- Directs and guides the PDI coordinator and admin assistant on various tasks and projects.
- Keeps direct supervisor abreast of potential problems as they develop; seeks advice as needed.
- Attends and prepares for staff meetings and departmental professional development days.
- Co-creates his/her annual Professional Development Plan (PDP). Meets quarterly with direct supervisor to receive support and track progress.
- Attends three local or regional D&I educational awareness opportunities (e.g. UMKC Pride breakfast) and at least three seminars, webinars or conferences for his/her own professional development (e.g. webcasts from ATD).
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5+ years related experience at a law firm, professional services org., or government agency.
- Communication: Able to communicate effectively, both verbally.
- and in writing, with individuals both in and out of the department.
- Client Focus: Focus on providing excellent client service to team members, attorneys, and staff.
- Integrity: Maintains confidences and fosters an ethical work environment.
- Respect for Others/Value Diversity: Interacts effectively with people who have different values, cultures, or cultural backgrounds.
- Teamwork: Able to build relationships with individuals both inside and out of the department to meet goals and objectives.
- Attendance and Punctuality: Lives within the attendance policy and maintains prescribed working hours. Is available to periodically work before or after hours and to travel to PDI events.
- Attention to Detail: Has a detail-oriented and proactive approach to projects.
- Flexibility: Performs a wide variety of tasks and changes focus quickly as need arises. Ability to work well with minimal supervision and deal well with ambiguity.
- Functional/Technical Skills: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment; produces complete and accurate work.
- Quality: Maintains the high standards set by the department leadership.
- Learning: Demonstrates ongoing willingness to refine skillsets and pursue new areas of knowledge.
To apply for this position, click here to visit the company website.